Well, What's Next?

So, I have some carry over vacation days to use and I'm using them this week. Unfortunately, I'll be spending the week away from Rey at my parents' in Rhode Island. There is, however, a table loom (also from my grandmother) that I'm going to try to use while I'm there just to keep learning. I have a lot of pink wool yarn that I think I'll use with some black Harrisville shetland yarn that came with the Macomber that I'll use to create a scarf. I talked with someone I met at the NY Handweaver's Guild (virtual) meeting in December a couple of weeks ago. She said that one of her first projects was a warp where she tried out a bunch of twill patterns with some plainweave between. She said she learned a lot from that, so I think I might try something similar with this black and pink wool (using the pink as the warp because I have so much of it).

When I get back to Rey, after I finish replacing the apron strings, I have a couple of projects in mind.

I've really been loving some of the more complicated looking houndstooth patterns. When I was on the Harrisville website getting more black Shetland I fell in love with a couple of colors that, of course, are out of stock, but got me thinking of a cowl with that houndstooth. Since the colors I fell in love with (aubergine, plum, violet, and hyacinth) were all out of stock I got another cone of black and a cone of delphinium and magenta. I'll put them next to the black when I get it before decicing which I"ll use. the other will either go back or head to the stash to be used later (lol, I think we all know it's going to end up in my stash.).

The other project I have in mind is a bit of a stretch for me. I'm still not quite sure how to make it work, but I have some ideas, and a backup plan. I'm hoping to maybe learn while doing the scarf project. Essentially, I want ot weave a set of placemats with a zig zag look in two colors and a border so I can hem them while keeping the zig zag in tact. I now that doesn't seem hard. There are zig zag patterns out there already. Those zig zag patterns, however, seem to be narrow zig zags. I'd like for these zig zags to be about an inch wide. I think that could mean that I'll need more shafts than I have, but maybe not. I've ordfered some 8/2 cotton that's on backorder. I was thinking of kind of a closer sett so the placemats will be stiffer than a regular weave. I'm wondering if I actually want the warp to be thinner than that (whch is doable...I seem to have white yarn at all different thicknesses #thanksgrandma). I guess the first step here might be to try to put together a draw down by estimating a ppi and see where it takes me. I'm 100% all ears, however, if you have any ideas!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weaving Project 004 - 10/2 Color Gamp

Replacing the Front Apron Strings

Weaving Project 003 - Spiral Houndstooth Cowl