Rey Skywarper's New Apron (strings)

Rey Skywarper’s new apron (strings)


Well, it's done. It's not done perfectly, but it is done. The apron strings on the warp beam have been replaced. The length of the apron strings used about 36" and now they're closer to 26". I'm hoping that won't cuase an issue lter. The back apron rod can still meet the castle in case that would be the issue.

It took me a bit to realize what I had to do. I started by hammering in the staples with knots in and actually just about broke an apron string at the staple location by doing so.

Apron string issue


I tried to fix it by doubling up the waxed yarn at that staple, then I started knotting the waxed yarn after the staple was all the way in (which was honestly a lot quicker).

The next step here is to replace the front apron strings, but I need to find more staples. Stan found some for a staple gun, but the ones that Macomber sent me were substantially thicker, which I think helped me use similar holes from the ones that were used originally, seemingly regular staples from a staple gun.

So I think I'm going to go forward with the placemats first and replace the front beam apron strings afterwards. It really drives me nuts that the apron strings are not the same length on the front beam, but until I find those staples I'll make do with what I've got. I could just go out and find these staples myself. Because I changed my plan for the placemats I didn't buy enough warp yarn and the yarn I bought is a special order from The Woolery so it'll take a little longer to get here. Things are just nuts at work, though, and I tend to spend my nights until around 11pm and a lot of weekend time as well working. Once I can measure those last 20 warps, I'll just start weaving and I'm sure I'll forget about the front aprons for a bit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weaving Project 004 - 10/2 Color Gamp

Replacing the Front Apron Strings

Weaving Project 003 - Spiral Houndstooth Cowl