Weaving Project 002 - Sampler Scarf

NAME: Sampler Scarf
DATES: 2/17/2021 to 3/5/2022
YARNS USED:
  • light pink wool from grandma's statch
  • Harrisville Shetland in black

PATTERN: It's a sampler of stitch patterns in black with pink tabby sections in between.
SOURCE: The Handweaver's Pattern Directory
  • Mixed Twills p. 38 top for 3"
  • 3/1 twill p. 37 middle for 5 3/4"
  • 2/2 twill p. 33 middle for 4"
  • A twill I'm not sure of, but one I seemed to like since I did it for 9"!
  • 2/2 twill p. 33 middle for 3 1/8"
  • tabby with 2 colors p. 30 bottom for 1"
  • 1/3 twill p. 36 middle 2 1/2"
  • 2/2 twill p. 32 top for 4 1/2"
  • 2/2 tabby for 4 1/2"

LENGTH OF WARP: 8 yards
WIDTH OF WARP: 14"
SETT (ENDS PER INCH): 10
DIMENSIONS BEFORE WASHING: I didn't measure it before washing!
DIMENSIONS AFTER WASHING: 54" (and 4" on each side for fringe) x 11 1/2"
% SHRINKAGE: #N/A
LENGTH OF WASTE WARP: not sure yet
PREVIOUS POSTS ON THIS PROJECT: Warping Failure to Launch
GOAL OF PROJECT: to learn all the things in a way that I can repurpose the learnings
WAS GOAL MET? sure! The scarf will be a gift to my cousin who, when she unwrapped a tin of yarn and learned that the yarn was half from grandma and that I was using one of grandma's looms to weave her a scarf, got emotional and excited.
DISCOVERIES:
  • Winding a warp is slightly different if you're warping the loom from front to back than if you're warping it from back to front.
  • When warps are looser, they'll pack a weft tighter
  • The importance of warp tension being even across the warp
  • I started to learn how to read the weaving to figure out what the stitch patterns are
  • Scarves are about 6' long, not 6-8 yards
  • Keeping the notes for a project near the loom with the project is helpful. Notes that tell me how many inches of a border or header I wove and why I wound such a long warp are less helpful when they're in a notebook in another state
  • I need a system for measuring the length I'm weaving as I go. What I ended up doing when I realized I needed to figure that out was unwinding the project from the front beam to try to measure it, which was clunky both to measure, and to wind back on.
  • This massive cone of pink yarn has a lot more yardage on it than I imagined
  • I should be weaving in the ends as I go to make it easier in the end

PHOTOS:
Sampler Scarf for Rebecca

Sampler Scarf for Rebecca

Sampler Scarf for Rebecca


NEXT UP: Mom saw how this came out and was intrigued. She found some light blue sock/fingering weight yarn in my grandma's stash and asked for a scarf. Since there's a lot of this warp left because 6' is not 6 yards and I have an 8 yard warp here, I think I might re-thread the heddles in a point twill and do a similar sampler scarf for her. She doesn't really wear scarves, but again, I think this is a great way to learn how to use the loom so I'm less worried if she uses the scarf or not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weaving Project 004 - 10/2 Color Gamp

Replacing the Front Apron Strings

Weaving Project 003 - Spiral Houndstooth Cowl