Weaving Project 004 - 10/2 Color Gamp

NAME: Lunatic Fringe 10/2 cotton 27 color gamp
DATES: 1/15/2023 to 6/26/2023
SOUNDTRACK: 90s Alternative and Stevie Nicks
YARNS USED: Lunatic Fringe 10/2 cotton
PATTERN: Lunatic Fringe 10/2 cottong 27 color gamp shawl
SOURCE: Lunatic Fringe Yarns
LENGTH OF WARP: 5 yards
WIDTH OF WARP: 36"
SETT (ENDS PER INCH): 24 epi
DIMENSIONS BEFORE WASHING: 33" x 51.5"
DIMENSIONS AFTER WASHING: 30.5" x 44.5"
% SHRINKAGE: 8%
LENGTH OF WASTE WARP: 24"
GOAL OF PROJECT: a rainbow shawl
WAS GOAL MET? not really...
DISCOVERIES: Well, I wrote a lot about the warping process last time, so I'll skip that part now. The result of this gorgeous warp is a delightful fabric.

Color Gamp progress

There were a lot more lessons learned from the rest of this project aside from the warp. I was confused as to why there was so much warp left over after I finshed mirroring the color stripes for the shawl. I realized only after I'd cut it off the loom that I wove the mirrored stripes up to the yellow color and then I must have forgotten which way I was pulling the bobbins and reversed course back to the green so the shawl isn't long enough to actually be a shawl. It's living its best life now as a tablecloth intead (Stan says it's a pricey tablecloth, and I guess he's right, but a tablecloth nonetheless). I put an arrow in the picture below of where the colors were supposed to mirror. You can see that after the yellow stripe, the color progression went back to gray instead of white like it should have.

Color Gamp progress

It's gorgeous though, and I do love the fabric to the point where I'm going to re-buy the kit and try it all over again now that I know more. I really want this shawl! Other things I learned:
  • I need to be better at hem stitching so I can get all the threads within the stiches.
  • I learned a bit more about block weaving, but it's still not totally sunk into my brain yet. I feel super close to getting it!
  • The edges ofthe sample seemed really narrow so when I started the tablecloth, I sleyed the reed for the edges looser than the rest (I sleyed a 12 dent reed with 2 per dent throughout the tablecloth, but 1 per dent on the edges)
I also now have a nifty hand towel that I wove with the "extra" warp, and the sample is going to become a wall hanging behind Rey. So this one project became 3, which is fine.

Something I didn't realize until i was getting rid of a couple of empty pill bottles is that i think this is the first warp I've put on the loom that I didn't need any warp weights for at all. The warp had a bunch of problems and was definitely uneven (the right side, even after winding the warp three times seems to be a bit longer than the left for some reason), but at least that wasn't one of them. I never even snapped a warp thread during the whole project, so that feels like quite a bit of progress!

I think next time I should ACE it!

PHOTOS:
Progress of the color gamp sampler as I wove it.
Video progress of the color gamp sampler as I wove it.

Color Gamp progress
I braided the fringe for the tablecloth

Color Gamp progress
Color Gamp Handtowel

Color Gamp Hand Towel Hems
Color Gamp Handtowel Hems

Hemming these hand towels was not easy on my mother's sewing machine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacing the Front Apron Strings

Weaving Project 003 - Spiral Houndstooth Cowl